China 1949 UPU stamp

Moderators: archiem, doc032848, wlin98004

Dr Dave

China 1949 UPU stamp

Post by Dr Dave » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:16 am

Dear Sirs:
I am completing a specialized catalog on stamps issued to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the UPU.
I am trying to get information on the issued stamps from China for this event.
So far this is what I’ve found out:

“Sold in panes of 50 stamps (5 X 10); the printing sheet was of 300 stamps composed of six panes of 50 stamps to each pane. Total of 190,000 stamps were ordered in Shanghai and printed ungummed without any face value before the fall of the city to the Communist army. Stocks were taken to Canton where they were overprinted with “1.00” and two black characters (“Dollar Chinese”) by the Nanking Printing Press of Canton. The printing was poor and only about 180,000 were distributed."

I need your help in validating what a numerical value found recently on a right lower corner stamp represents. Attached is a scan of the stamp (with a misplaced overprint) and a number 5 on the margin to the right of the stamp.

Would be greatly appreciative of any input you may have as to what exactly does the number 5 represent. Is it indicating that it is pane #5 of 6 panes?

Thanking you in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.
Respectfully yours,

David Silverstein, MD
dhsmd@hotmail.com
8954 143rd street
Seminole, FL 33776
727-410-6213
Attachments
misplaced ovpt.jpg
What is the number 5?
misplaced ovpt.jpg (122.87 KiB) Viewed 1875 times

archiem

Re: China 1949 UPU stamp

Post by archiem » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:04 pm

Welcome to the CSS China Forum Dr. Dave,

First off let me say I in no way am an expert on the ROC stamps. But I can suggest you visit the St. Pete Stamp Club and take advantage of their library. The best philatelic library by far in the SE US. They have copies of both the Ma catalogue and the CSS China catalogue. I am sure they have more on the UPU.

From the CSS catalogue: ... "Again because of inflation and frequent revisions of postal rates, the Shanghai branch of the Dah Tung Book Co. recess printed this stamp without face value. The design is the emblem of the United Nations with two doves flying towards each other. Its cliche is 30 x 23 mm. Like the preceding stamps, the $1 value was overprinted in Canton by the Nanking Printing Co. It was surcharged in sheets of 100 with two horizontal panes of 50 (5 x 10). The printing sheet was 300 stamps in six panes of 50 (3 x 2). Plate numbers are 1, 2, 5, 6, and 7 and appear in the gutters between panes."

It does not address the "5" on the right of your image, but I would assume that was /is the plate number based on what CSS says.

It also talks of a miniature sheet, origin unknown. The Ma catalogue has a bit less information.

It is CSS # 1415, Ma # 1396

Please note this stamp is extensively known as having a forged overprint.

Hope this helps a bit.

Dr Dave

Post by Dr Dave » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:20 pm

Thank you very much. This info explains likely the #5 on the frame
I will also check with St Pete Stamp Club ( thanks for mentioning since I've lived here for over 35 years and didn't realize they had a club. Shame on me)
Thanks again,
David
🙂

Roman

Post by Roman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:27 am

Your stamp has a fake overprint.

Dr Dave

Post by Dr Dave » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:02 pm

Thank you Roman for your input. From my studies the following has been noted:
The majority of stamps that came on the market were those “favor canceled” in Canton for a dealer in Formosa who also sent supplies to Tihwa in the Sinkiang Province where some were overprinted with the “Sinkiang” overprint in violet/purple meaning “People’s Post” (for use by the Communists). This overprint is described in Yang's Postage Stamp Catalogue of the People's Republic of China and is not related to the 75th Anniversary of the UPU. Some covers exist franked from Matsu (a minor archipelago of 36 islands and islets in the Taiwan Strait) and Quemoy (a group of islands located just off the southeastern coast of mainland China) and posted in 1950 where technically these stamps were still valid. Supposedly a thematic dealer in the USA prepared these and sent them to Formosa for cancel and subsequently were forwarded to Quemoy and Matsu. A 50¢ silver stamp (Hwa Nan Printing Press in Chungking) was added to frank them back to the USA; the Quemoy cancel being considered valid since it was part of the Fukien Province not occupied by the Communists. A single sheet of 50 stamps was found in Canton without the black overprinting of “1.00” and “Dollar Chinese” (therefore has no denominations).
The overprint on the stamp I have is neither Yang NW94 nor Yang NW94a (character b overprint). It may be a fake of the character b overprint (see attached scans of my other stamps related to China UPU 1949).
My main interest in the findings of this stamp are the downward displacement of the “1.00” and two black characters (“Dollar Chinese”) overprint done by the Nanking Printing Press in Canton AND mostly the #5 noted on the right of the stamp in the gutter area. This was indeed answered, I believe, by archiem who kindly updated my knowledge with the info pertaining to the plate numbers used.
Thanks always and feel free to update my info or correct since I'm always open to added knowledge.
Attachments
Certificate NW94a type b.jpg
Certificate NW94a type b.jpg (406.95 KiB) Viewed 1810 times

Roman

Post by Roman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:33 am

I saw these shifted surcharges few times, but never took any 2nd look on it. This stamp is in general bit "strange", it was called up to the early 70s mainly as bogus and only in recent times (around 90s) accepted as fully as regular issued stamp. But I can't remember to saw any non philatelic inspired cover with this stamp. Existing sheets or covers not seldom have in front or back a long red chop in Chinese which reads "philatelic item".

I add some of my stamps for your information and how to differ both overprints which were used on this stamp. A lot of fakes existing, even in old collections. Mainly recognize by using the wrong ink, differently drawings or just like a strange crumbly pigment dispersion.

In the coming Philachina auction you can find by lot 554 a cover with this stamp where a fake sender / address was added. This cover holds the typical red chop "philatelic item".

Overprint types:
NW-Types.jpg
NW-Types.jpg (94.47 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
CTO use:
CTO (TIHWA).jpg
CTO (TIHWA).jpg (196.94 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
Philachina lot:
Faked addresses.jpg
Faked addresses.jpg (102.04 KiB) Viewed 1798 times

Dr Dave

Post by Dr Dave » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:52 pm

Thanks Roman! That's great info, specially the two scans side by side of overprint. Will incorporate this data into the China section of the book. Thanks again, David.
By the way, do you have any info on the "large Yi' that appears in the scan I sent?

Roman

Post by Roman » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:29 am

HI, what you mean by "large Yi"?

Dr Dave

Post by Dr Dave » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:10 pm

Hi Roman
Just realized that scan didn't go thru
Attached is scan showing in middle row, from left to right, the third stamp with larger Yi
Any comment?
Thanks always,
David
Attachments
China large Yi.jpg
China large Yi.jpg (98.28 KiB) Viewed 1674 times

Roman

Post by Roman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:28 am

HI David,

it's an interesting variety, it happens only happens once in a sheet of 60? I never noticed (or let me say, I never really keep and focus on this stamp).

But is also not an uncommon variety for the Chinese philately, this happened a lot for the overprinted stamps of Luda where als types were used. Sometimes one or two broke and they use a replacement in a smaller order larger size, sometimes even with a different font face.

Thanks.

Roman