Excel lists?

Post any topics or questions about Chinese Stamps here.

Moderators: archiem, doc032848, wlin98004

Vilyehm

Excel lists?

Post by Vilyehm » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:55 pm

I'm thinking of making a listing of all my town cancels, and am wondering if anyone has done anything with Excel that would same me from starting from scratch.

Ah, the wonders of the computer. Once completed, the list can be sorted by town, province, Scott number, Dragon-Junk-Sun, SON cancels only, etc.

archiem

Re: Excel lists?

Post by archiem » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:00 am

Nice project.
I hope you know that the CSS library if I am not mistaken has several books listing town names/post codes/ and various other information. I know I have used the one for the PRC that I have, and have seen at least one other for the ROC before 1949.
And of course, there are several very important books showing cancels.
Hugh Lawrence can be of service here as the CSS librarian. The CSS library is in the Los Angeles area for those lucky enough to live in that area. But books can be checked out and sent by mail to CSS members.
Good luck

Vilyehm

Post by Vilyehm » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:48 pm

Well..... I have zero funds to become a member.

I have zero funds to buy a CSS copy of the list of post offices. A long time ago I was given a photocopy of the one in a California University library. Forget which one. Forget the name of the member that gave it to me. --But he lived in Napa.

I would gladly trade for a copy. Whatever I have that's not a cancel and/or doesn't fit in a #2 #3 or #4 glassine. (I am going to be moving to a very small apartment.)

I've downloaded the internet list of post offices that displays information thus:

Hohsien (Hexian) 和縣 (Liyang 歷陽) 31n43 118e21 Together City, History Sun

And I have a pdf file hearted. --which I see will not load at the same time the computer is playing a DVD. Oh well. Jozef Wagemakers list. I suppose eventually I should get the list by Paul Davey in The China Clipper.

Right now I have 354 listed, almost exclusively from A to O. I do not know if the file (or files) from N to Z are misplaced, lost, taken, or thrown out if they got irreversibly soaked by rainwater.

The Os:

Name Basic Type Detail Province

OCHENG Sun 1 Block 6 Hubei
OMEIHSEIN Junk 1
ONPO Junk 2 Guangdong
OWCHIHKOW Sun 4 Round Chunking

Having a SMART PHONE and the INTERNET is a wonder.
I'll email the file to anybody who wants it, and I can take and send pictures of anything anyone is working on.

Vilyehm

Post by Vilyehm » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:50 pm

...I suppose there was a tab function I missed finding?

archiem

Post by archiem » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:27 am

Can't help with the money part, sorry.

But sounds like you might be in the greater SF area, and CSS has a chapter there. Contact is Pat Skain at patskain@att.net. I am sure they would welcome you to a meeting, and maybe there you could find someone that has ideas or things to trade, such as information. I am one of those that believes it is easier to work with others than strike out on your own. Amazing what others have some experience with that will save you some time and energy. I don't see any reason to reinvent the wheel.

And do not forget that the APS has a magnificent library that cooperates with interlibrary loans from public libraries. Take a look at the American Philatelic Research Library at the APS headquarters in Bellfonte, PA: http://www.stamps.org

Good luck

Vilyehm

Post by Vilyehm » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:38 pm

Re:
Can't help with the money part, sorry.

Nope. No. Nada. No charity.
But after I have it all sorted out, I will start trading items.

I have no money. "Ahem." As money.
For possible legal protection, I may want to swear that I've never spent cash on this hobby since the early 1990s.

Re:
But sounds like you might be in the greater SF area,

I timed a business trip to the meeting. I'm in Arizona.

Re:
I don't see any reason to reinvent the wheel.

The trouble with building a better mousetrap nowadays is the inevitable letter from a lawyer with the class action lawsuit filed on behalf of the mice.

And re trading:

Back in the 1970s, I spent a few months working after high school hours at a local coin and stamp shop. I worked off part, then paid the rest in cash for a candy box filled with rows and rows of stamps packed tightly.

There were 700 copies of a 9N Sun stamp with the secret mark. The $5.00 copy.
The Dragon-Carps had tombstone cancels. All nicely split in two to fit the files.
Yunnan and Manchuria Junk overprints.

There were also 300 copies of Ireland C2, the high Scott value. With a wide variety of cancels.

It was all of the stamps of the mission mail received by a Catholic church, or church member.

So as an example, I have 5 copies of MOHEI,(IIRC) a small town cancel in Yunnan on the same stamp.

------
Current list is at 910 items. There are two more files to go.

..oh. I will also trade for a few Hunt Manufacturing business card file boxes.

...and a thousand or so new or used No. 2 glassines.