New Website / Manchurian Local Overprints (MLO's)

Post any topics or questions about Chinese Stamps here.

Moderators: archiem, doc032848, wlin98004

Roman

New Website / Manchurian Local Overprints (MLO's)

Post by Roman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:49 am

Dear fellow Collectors,
I'm happy to introduce my new website http://philachina.org which mainly covers Liberated Area, China Second East Turkistan Republic (ETR) and Manchurian Local Overprints (MLO's). At the moment is in early stage but already growing every day.

The main challenge by collecting Manchurian Local Overprints (MLO's) is the leak of information, the high amount of bogus issues and dealers fabricated covers.It ends up that many nice and value genuine MLO issues still missing in some main catalogs (like general stamp catalogs or specific catalogs for Liberated Areas. I do not mention here catalogs like Kerr or the close follower Chan who assembled everything MLO related without any depper history research). In a conclusion you can group all existng MLOs in four groups:

1.) Manchurian Local Overprints (MLO's) issued by / under the GMD
2.) Manchurian Local Overprints (MLO's) issued by / under the CCP
3.) Manchurian Local Overprints (MLO's) issued by / under some local autonomes / provincial governments (or sometimes even under no official control)
4.) Manchurian Local Overprints (MLO's) produced by stamp dealers (mostly in Harbin) [~unfortunately this are around 60-70% of all existing MLOs!]

My website will only cover the part 2.) first.

I would be very happy if other collectors for MLO or LA like join my project! A future extension for part 1.) or 3.) may possible as well if someone like to help. :) One main target for give all this information out free to public is to promote the for me most fascinating areas of the Chinese philately and of course to fight against to flood of forgeries by giving collectors as much information as possible to recognize and identify fakes.

Best Wishes,

Roman

admin
Site Admin

Re: New Website / Manchurian Local Overprints (MLO's)

Post by admin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:00 pm

When it is finished this will be a great piece of work. Lets de-mystify MLOs so that evryone can collect them.

Roman

Post by Roman » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:59 am

Thank you, but the "when" is hard to say.

As we can see here in many threads we running often in dead ends, but as a team I have good hope we can come one day to a finish! :)

WestNab

Post by WestNab » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:44 am

Is there another category of MLOs - issued by local administrations in areas controlled by USSR military? Weren't there also Chinese communists who fought with or alongside USSR forces and weren't members of the CCP? The history of 1945-9 in Manchuria is what needs to be understood to understand the postal issues and it seems somewhat undocumented, at least in English?