Mythical Overprints 2 - Kerr 90 Kang Ping **Fact or Fiction**

Join Roman and Simon as we do our best to test the listings made by Kerr and later by Chan. What has been missed? Which overprints have been assigned to the wrong towns? What is genuine and what is suspect? - You get the idea......

Moderators: archiem, doc032848, wlin98004

admin
Site Admin

Mythical Overprints 2 - Kerr 90 Kang Ping **Fact or Fiction**

Post by admin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Even Kerr sounded a little skeptical about this one. He described it as a tentative listing with only one stamp ever been reported but not seen - which is why he cannot describe or sketch. It is 50 years since he complied his catalogue - has anything surfaced in this time?

Chan does not list Kang Ping.

The town does exist exactly where Kerr says it is and according to Fisher's Gazeteer it had a Post Office (see 871 K'ang-p'ing).
Attachments
KangPingMap.jpg
KangPingMap.jpg (140.77 KiB) Viewed 428 times

doc032848

Re: Mythical Overprints 2 - Kerr 90 Kang Ping **Fact or Fiction**

Post by doc032848 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:04 pm

Simon,

I have two stamps of Mukden type from Kang Ping but nothing like Kerr describes. The Mukden set is rare as I have only seen two of them.

The Mukden types are very hard to collect. I mean hard to find, especially on real covers.

As for what Kerr says he has seen or not since here, is probably Mr. Williams anyway.

George

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:54 am

Are we talking about the Mukden Type 52 (Kai-p'ing)? If so are you sure this is the same place?

The characters shown on the map read Kang Ping, Kai (凱) is not what I am seeing. See map.
Attachments
KangPingMap2.jpg
KangPingMap2.jpg (101.47 KiB) Viewed 422 times

doc032848

Post by doc032848 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:57 pm

Simon,

Thank you! Yes I see that it is not the same place.

On the "Kang-p'ing" listing in "Kerr" I have no idea and can not list anything I have not seen myself.

I will not list stamps that people say "must" exist as they were issued in pairs, like the propaganda pair, Kerr's designs "M & N." If I do not know for sure both have been found I do not assume both are in existence Even if they did, how do I know that a given postal official in a specific post office, etc., would have found it offensive?

I once had 14 used stamps in my hands for examination, and could not buy them. I knew they were probably good but
in those days we only had B&W Xerox so my copies are not good enough to use for a catalog.

I am going to list a few sets I can not locate for in a moment because more than one of them exists. Maybe one of you can help me.

George