Can you tell me exactly which place these sets come from?

Join Roman and Simon as we do our best to test the listings made by Kerr and later by Chan. What has been missed? Which overprints have been assigned to the wrong towns? What is genuine and what is suspect? - You get the idea......

Moderators: archiem, doc032848, wlin98004

doc032848

Can you tell me exactly which place these sets come from?

Post by doc032848 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:18 pm

Members,

Here are two places with some stamps that exist on cover, yet they do not help me d3ecide which place made the stamps, let alone whether they are real or not:

Kerr Area 167 Ping Shan---there is more than one place with what looks like that name BUT the covers do not have provincial indicators on them. My sense of what it might be is not Kerr's as I think it may have come from the area in West "Pinkiang"
where the Plague had hit, and the Russians who ran the RR's would not take anyone there.
But another town we know of in the same area that we know is real is the "Zhaoyuan" Dove issue of Peace issue I have never seen a cover of. So why are there covers from one town in the area and none from the other?
That puts me back to square one.

Kerr Area 207 Sze Fang TaI. There is such a place in old Peian as where the stamps seem to "fit in" but the covers have no provincial indicators to help me. Some say it must be the famous battleground locality, "Sze-p'ing." I have no clue.
Covers i have seen do not give me the warm fuzzies either!

Any help that is final I will acknowledge in the book.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Can you tell me exactly which place these sets come from?

Post by admin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:53 am

I can find a Ping Shan in Kowloon but that can't be it.

Chan says it is in Andoong (but what does he know?).

What about this from a Japanese map of about the right time. 大平 山 Da Ping Shan not far from Yingkow - see below.

I will keep looking to see if I can find anything better.
Attachments
DaPingShanMap.jpg
DaPingShanMap.jpg (57.98 KiB) Viewed 760 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: Can you tell me exactly which place these sets come from?

Post by admin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:24 pm

Fisher lists a post office at Ping Shan (858 Chao-yuan, Pin Kiang) and the Manual of Chinese Manchurian Personal and Place Names lists it.

The existance of Ping Shan in Manchuria is confirmed.