PRC C2 4-4

This is the place to come for advance notice of new issues. To find out if your stamp is a reprint. To post ideas about why a certain stamp was issued. To announce a newly discovered variety, etc., We have experts Bill and Archie on hand and happy to help.

Moderators: archiem, doc032848, wlin98004

michaelsu76

PRC C2 4-4

Post by michaelsu76 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:20 am

Dear Friends,

Can anyone post a high-res scan of their original print C2 4-4? I bought a copy off ebay nystamps last month but returned because fewer lines were hitting the top. Shouldn't the vertical lines on the rostrum hit the top just like 4-3?

Now he's selling another copy which looks kind of lacking in the vertical lines department, as an original print.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/nystamps-PR-Ch ... :rk:1:pf:0

He can't possibly get it wrong two sales in a row!?

Thanks for any advice.

archiem

Re: PRC C2 4-4

Post by archiem » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:49 am

The 4-4 in the link you sent is absolutely a reprint. But note not PRC C 2. It is a LAS issue in Scott.

But note the C2 4-4's are honestly more difficult to see than the 4-3's.

The internet is not friendly to high resolution scans.

And then we run into the same problem many have faced, posting an image on this forum. Sorry, scanned it for you buy not smart enough to post.

Roman

Post by Roman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:28 pm

Maybe this page helps:
https://philachina.org/chinese-peoples- ... 0%E5%BF%B5

The scan of the stamp is very bad. Looks like reprint, but the scan is such bad, part of it is guessing.

archiem

Post by archiem » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:23 pm

Thank you for the link Roman. I am surprised that they do not mention the characteristic differences between original and reprint that is listed in most catalogues.
But I am also surprised that they mention narrow and wide versions. I had never seen that before. I will have to go back and check my sets of these, and I guess many other sets.
Always something new to learn about Chinese stamps, thank you again.