Kerr 122.1-4

Join Roman and Simon as we do our best to test the listings made by Kerr and later by Chan. What has been missed? Which overprints have been assigned to the wrong towns? What is genuine and what is suspect? - You get the idea......

Moderators: archiem, doc032848, wlin98004

Roman

Kerr 122.1-4

Post by Roman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:35 pm

This is an interesting issue.

Kerr mentioned as town of origin "Liaoyang (遼陽)" but wrote in Chinese characters "Liaonan (遼南)" which classify a larger area like "Southern Liaoning" [As comment: He did so for a couple of issues, anyone know the reason?]. If you study covers with these stamps you will notice they were used in many towns of Liaoning.

What I like to know: Is for Kerr 122.1-4 confirmed "Liaoyang (遼陽)" was the town of origin? (in other words, does anyone has a cover with these stamps and a cancel from Liaoyang?"

admin
Site Admin

Re: Kerr 122.1-4

Post by admin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:26 pm

I have seen these stamps on covers but none with a readable town name, so I can't be of much help. Kerr obviously though it was Liaoyang, he gives the position and just lists Liao Nan as an alternative name. I agree the Characters do read Liao Nan.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:53 pm

Attached is an image for those who don't have a copy of Kerr - where possible it might be a good idea to do this with every post.

I have looked at Chiu's Supplement Vol 8. Chapter 2 Page 315 of August 1959. He says this overprint was machine printed on sheets of 100 stamps in Chin Chou by the Sen Yau Printing Press.

Quantities Printed
$1 on 2f = 1,340,000
$3 on 2f = 600,000
$5 on 10f = 980,000

He states that they were sent to Sui Chung and Jehol. Liao Yang is not very far from Chin Chou so it is possible they also got a supply.

He says that the 10f Friendship Issue caused offence to the Government in Changchun and they ordered these withdrawn from 1st Feb 1946.

Thinking about it, if Chin Chou supplied Jehol with stamps they may have also produced the Chang-te set that we discussed in another post - just a thought.
Attachments
LiaoYangSet.jpg
LiaoYangSet.jpg (71.72 KiB) Viewed 1445 times

doc032848

Post by doc032848 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Simon, Roman,

This set I believe was produced at the Chinchou Man P. O. and is in GMD NE Bank dollars.
Because of the War, and the movement North of the Jijiang Base, Chinchous was given all post offices they GMD got to in their push north up the RR to Baicheng it appears from extants. Yes, the went up the Changchun RR but they fanned out.
So all those areas in Nei Menggu, Rehe, and in West Liaoning came under Chinchou.
I got the cover you ask about, mailed at Liao-yang when I got Kerr's collection.
So stamps from Chinchou, and then Changchun were used in a lot of places. They are often used in combination with NEP.
I wish I had bought a lot more covers, including NEP, and "DB!"

George

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:35 pm

How many of these PO's have been confirmed by covers? Like I said, I have not seen anything with a readable town name and I had considered these stamps suspect. Certainly I would not have connected them with Nie Meng Gu (Inner Mongolia).

Roman

Post by Roman » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:57 pm

Such strong shifted overprints you can very often find by machine overprinted stamps with types. A reason for that were different wide margins. For example for the later LUDA overprinted issues they start to cut all margins in the same range to avoid shifted overprints. So I believe it's right what Chiu wrote (and we can start in a reverse conclusion to look for repeating overprint varieties for this issue)

In my records I have the earliest use of this issue January and latest used March 1946. Combined covers with all kind of Chinchow (Kerr 28.) can be found (especially for higher postal rares, like airmails), also as Georg wrote with NEP.

Without the cover Georg mentioned I would state this issue belongs to Chinchow and not Liao-yang.

@George: Please show me a scan of the cover with a Liao-yang cancel.

I'm especially interested in the cancel date as Liao-yang was Liberated various times but was in the hand of the CPC during the know validation of this stamp issue!